4 LändergiroVisit four Alpine countries in one tour, climb the famous Italian trilogy and discover other mythical Grand Cols.FROM BLUDENZ TO BLUDENZServus! Can't decide which country will be your next cycling destination? In the 4 Ländergiro (4LG) you don't have to...
A Travers les Vosges
Look closer to home and climb all the famous Vosges cols and balloons, that you know from the Tour de France, in one tour.
FROM FOUDAY TO FOUDAY
Salute! Are you looking for a challenge in spring while the cols in the high mountains are still closed? Or do you want to climb tough cols but not travel too far? Then the beautiful French mountain range the Vosges is a great alternative to the Alps and the Pyrenees! You’ll ride on quiet roads, through forests, vineyards and some of Europe’s most beautiful villages. Along the way, you’ll climb the famous balloons. Cycling history awaits you after every turn! In five stages, you climb the following famous cols: Grand Ballon, Petit Ballon, La Super Planche des Belles Filles, Col du Platzerwasel and Ballon d’Alsace. You will cover 500 kilometres and conquer a total of 11,500 metres altitude, mon Dieu! Do these numbers put you off? Then opt for the red routes; 450 kilometres and 10,000 metres altitude.
BEST TIME OF YEAR
Red routes: 450
Red routes: 10,000
GRAND COLS AROUND THE CORNER
From western and northern Europe, the Vosges are easily accessible. In the morning you sit at home drinking coffee, in the afternoon you get on your bike in Fouday to climb a beautiful Vosges col! This way, you make the most of your precious days off and get into the holiday mood right away. After a short warm-up stage, we continue A Travers les Vosges with the centrally located Col de la Schlucht (1,139 metres), le Petit Ballon (1,163 metres) and Col du Platzerwasel (1,183 metres). These last two cols were not often included in the Tour de France, but they are certainly among the most iconic of the Vosges and they are highly regarded by experienced mountain cyclists. We are now near Munster, a beautiful mountain town known for its smelly cheese.
”In the morning you drink your coffee at home, in the afternoon you climb a Vosges col!”
THE SHELF OF THE PRETTY GIRLS
We continue with the most famous Vosges climb in recent Tour history; la (Super) Planche des Belles Filles, located in Thibaut Pinot’s training grounds. This short, steep climb – with a heavy gravel section in the finale – takes us to an altitude of 1,146 metres. The name is pretty, but refers to a grim history from the Thirty Years’ War. La Planche has been climbed six times in la Grande Boucle and has an impressive list of winners: Froome, Aru, Nibali, Theuns and Pogačar (twice). The most memorable edition was the climbing time trial in the 2020 Tour de France; Pogačar finished first ahead of Dumoulin, surprisingly taking over the yellow jersey from his fellow countryman Roglič and winning his first Tour de France.
MORE BALLOONS AND BEAUTIFUL VILLAGES
The next famous balloon is the Ballon d’Alsace (1,175 metres). This was the first col ever climbed in the Tour de France (in 1905). René Pottier reached the top first. In later editions, Merckx and Thévenet, among others, followed. We are now approaching the roof of A Travers les Vosges and the highest pass in the Vosges mountains; le Grand Ballon (1,343 metres). We opt for the iconic flank with its cobbled hairpin bends. On the last stage, we get to know another side of the Vosges Mountains. We cycle through picturesque vineyards and some of Europe’s most beautiful villages, including Ribeauvillé. Finally, we conclude A Travers les Vosges with a worthy final climb; Champ du Feu (1,099 metres).
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE PRICE?
The price includes:
- Hotel accommodation in nice, cycle-friendly hotels (minimum 3 stars) on the route (double room, 5 nights)
- Breakfast (5 times) and dinner (5 times)
- Participation in the stages prepared by Grand Cols Cycling Tours (5 stages)
- Professional, digital road book with all relevant route information
- GPX files for uploading routes to navigation devices
- Picnic lunch, coffee stop with good coffee and sports nutrition (sports drink, water, bars, etc.) during the stages
- Support during the stages with a support car, for example: handing over clothing and carrying out minor repairs
- Luggage transport from hotel to hotel
- The use of a bicycle pump, lubricant and bicycle tools
- Grand Cols Cycling Tours cycling jersey (contact us if you would like to design a custom jersey)
- Participation in the VZR guarantee scheme
The price does not include:
– The outward journey to the starting location and the return journey from the finish location
– Personal insurance, such as travel and cancellation insurance
– Drinks during the dinners
– Equipment (you participate with your own equipment, such as: bike, helmet and clothing)
- Upgrade to a single room € 150, –
- Additional overnight stay (without dinner) before the start of the cycling tour (double room): € 100, –
- Commonly used spare parts, such as: tyres, cleats and batteries (at cost price)
Anything else? Let us know!
Want to know more?
DISCOVER A Travers les Vosges
Are you interested in this cycling tour? Request more information without obligation.
A SELECTION OF OUR CYCLING TOURS
Take up the challenge and discover the most beautiful Grand Cols with us.
A Travers les VosgesLook closer to home and climb all the famous Vosges cols and balloons, that you know from the Tour de France, in one tour. FROM FOUDAY TO FOUDAYSalute! Are you looking for a challenge in spring while the cols in the high mountains are still closed?...
CUSTOM CYCLING TOUR Your favorite Grand Cols, our destination?FROM VILLAGE DÉPART TO VILLAGE D'ARRIVÉEBonjour! Ciao! ¡Hola! Or should we say servus? If you have just finished a great cycling adventure and are in danger of falling into a black hole, then it's about...