4 LändergiroVisit four Alpine countries in one tour, climb the famous Italian trilogy and discover other mythical Grand Cols.FROM BLUDENZ TO BLUDENZServus! Can't decide which country will be your next cycling destination? In the 4 Ländergiro (4LG) you don't have to...
Across the Alps South
Discover the breathtaking Grand Cols
of the Southern French and Italian Alps.
FROM BARCELONNETTE TO BARCELONNETTE
Bonjour and ciao! Across the Alps South is a climbing stage tour through the French and Italian Alps which starts and finishes in Barcelonnette. Your climbing legs will be put to the test in this breathtaking tour over mythical Alpine cols. In a prologue and 6 stages you cycle 750 kilometres, climb 17 cols and conquer 20,000 metres altitude. Would you rather choose the slightly less difficult red routes? Then you´ll cover 700 kilometres and climb ‘only’ 17,500 metres altitude. Along the way we encounter the following Alpine giants: Col du Glandon, Gol du Galibier, Col d’Izoard, Colle di Sampeyre, Colle della Fauniera and Cime de la Bonette. This tour is for trained cyclists who climb easily.
Prologue + 6
best time of year
Red routes: 700
Red routes: 17,500
DISCOVER AN UNKNOWN PART OF THE FRENCH ALPS
We start in the nice mountain town of Barcelonnette with a simple prologue that we complete as a group. The tour starts through a lesser known, but beautiful part of the French Alps. We cross Lac de Serre Ponçon and cycle around the Parc National des Écrins, towards Le-Bourg-d’Oisans. Along the way we climb Col de la Moissière (1,573 metres) and Col d’Ornon (1,371 metres). We arrive in a well-known cycling area and finish with Col du Glandon (1,924 metres). This is the first col of la Marmotte and the Glandon is also no stranger to the Tour de France. In the 2022 Tour, Tom Pidcock won on Alpe d’Huez after an unprecedented descent of the side of the Glandon that we climb.
‘This tour is for trained cyclists who climb easily.’
ON THE TRAIL OF LA MARMOTTE
We continue our way over the route of la Marmotte with Col du Télégraphe and Col du Galibier (2,642 metres); these Grand Cols devide more than 35 kilometers and 2,000 metres altitude among themselves! Col du Galibier needs no introduction. It is one of the highest cols in France and has been included in the Tour countless times. With Col d’Izoard (2,361 metres), we have another absolute Tour classic on the program. This Grand Col is known for its mighty rubble slopes and the remarkable monument on the top. Then we ride into Italy via the mystical Col Agnel (2,744 metres). Benvenuto! You immediately notice that the roads are a lot quieter here and life is lived in a lower gear.
ITALIA AND CIME DE LA BONETTE
In Italy we climb the fantastic Colle di Sampeyre (2,274 metres) and Colle della Fauniera (2,481 metres). In our opinion, these are two of the most beautiful cols in Europe, which are worth every drop of sweat! In this remote part of Italy you will more than once feel like you have reached the end of the world. After we entered France, a last tough challenge awaits us; Cime de la Bonette (2,802 metres), the highest asphalted road in Europe (according to the French)! The climb is long and tough, especially the last loop. While you enjoy the majestic view at the top, you slowly realize that you have achieved a very special achievement!
What's included in the price?
The price includes:
- Hotel accommodation in nice, cycle-friendly hotels (minimum 3 stars) on the route (double room, 7 nights)
- Breakfast (7 times) and dinner (7 times)
- Participation in the stages prepared by Grand Cols Cycling Tours (prologue on the day of arrival + 6 stages)
- Professional, digital road book with all relevant route information
- GPX files for uploading routes to navigation devices
- Picnic lunch, coffee stop with good coffee and sports nutrition (sports drink, water, bars, etc.) during the stages
- Support during the stages with a support car, for example: handing over clothing and carrying out minor repairs
- Luggage transport from hotel to hotel
- The use of a bicycle pump, lubricant and bicycle tools
- Grand Cols Cycling Tours cycling jersey (contact us if you would like to design a custom jersey)
- Participation in the VZR guarantee scheme
The price does not include:
– The outward journey to the starting location and the return journey from the finish location
– Personal insurance, such as travel and cancellation insurance
– Drinks during the dinners
– Equipment (you participate with your own equipment, such as: bike, helmet and clothing)
- Upgrade to a single room € 210, –
- Additional overnight stay (without dinner) before the start of the cycling tour (double room): € 100, –
- Commonly used spare parts, such as: tyres, cleats and batteries (at cost price)
Anything else? Let us know!
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
DISCOVER Across the Alps – SOUTH
Are you interested in this cycling tour? Request more information without obligation.
A SELECTION of our cycling tours
Take up the challenge and discover the most beautiful Grand Cols with us
A Travers les VosgesLook closer to home and climb all the famous Vosges cols and balloons, that you know from the Tour de France, in one tour. FROM FOUDAY TO FOUDAYSalute! Are you looking for a challenge in spring while the cols in the high mountains are still closed?...
CUSTOM CYCLING TOUR Your favorite Grand Cols, our destination?FROM VILLAGE DÉPART TO VILLAGE D'ARRIVÉEBonjour! Ciao! ¡Hola! Or should we say servus? If you have just finished a great cycling adventure and are in danger of falling into a black hole, then it's about...