Tour de Suisse
Enjoy the beauty and tranquility of the Swiss Alps and discover the breathtaking Grand Cols of the Tour de Suisse.
FROM MEIRINGEN TO MEIRINGEN
Grüetzi! Have you already ticked off quite a few Grand Cols but have you never been to Switzerland? Then it’s about time! Cycle from Meiringen to Meiringen in a prologue and 6 stages. Experience the Swiss beauty and tranquility and climb the breathtaking Grand Cols of the Tour de Suisse. Of course Switzerland is the Alpine country par excellence, but to cyclists the Swiss cols are less known than those in France and Italy. Yet the Tour of Switzerland is an important race that is often called the ‘fourth Grand Tour’. Rightly so in our opinion because the Swiss cols are in no way inferior to those in neighboring countries in terms of challenge and beauty. We climb, among others: Grimselpass, Furkapass, Julierpass, Passo della Spluga, Sankt Gotthardpass, Susenpass and Grosse Scheidegg. Do you choose the black routes? Then you cycle 650 kilometres and conquer 15,000 metres altitude. The red routes count 600 kilometres and a 13,500 metres altitude.
Prologue + 6
BEST TIME OF YEAR
Red routes: 600
Red routes: 13,500
We start in Meiringen, near Lake Brienz. Brienz is located in the north of the Alps and is easily accessible from western and northern Europe, also by train. After the prologue we find two of the most beautiful Grand Cols in Europe on the program: the grim Grimselpass (2,164 metres) and the Furkapass (2,429 metres). These Swiss classics are must-rides for every mountain cyclist! The Grimselpass has an impressive finale with winding roads past massive barrages. The Furkapass is best known for the iconic 19th century Belvédère hotel. It is located in a hairpin bend, near the Rhône Glacier. You may also know this col from a chase scene from the James Bond film Goldfinger, from 1964.
‘The Grimselpass and Furkapass are among the most beautiful Grand Cols in Europe and are must-rides for every mountain cyclist.’
LITTLE GETAWAY TO ITALIA
From central Switzerland we move to the east of the country, towards the Italian border. Here we climb the 36 kilometer long Julierpass (2,284 metres), named after the Roman emperor Julius Caesar. We descend the Julier Pass and Malojapass and enter Italy; un doppio per favore! The next highlight on our route is the breathtaking Passo della Spluga (2,114 metres), or Splügenpass in German. This border pass takes us along the beautiful Lago di Montespluga, back to Switzerland. In the 2021 Giro d’Italia, this Grand Col formed the setting for the 20th stage, which was won by Damiano Caruso.
BACK IN TIME
In the last part of the Tour de Suisse the cols remain beautiful! As we climb the Sankt Gotthardpass (2,107 metres), it seems like we are going back in time; the winding road is partly paved with authentic stones and due to the Gotthard tunnel there is very little traffic on the road. Can we make this Grand Col even more beautiful? Yes we can! By mentioning its Italian name: Passo del San Gottardo! The next climb is the Sustenpass (2,224 metres). We seem to be repeating ourselves when we say that this is a beautiful col, but it has to be said! After the descent we arrive back in Meiringen, where one more surprising col awaits us; the Grosse Scheidegg (1,962 metres)!
What's included in the price?
The price includes:
- Hotel accommodation in nice, cycle-friendly hotels (minimum 3 stars) on the route (double room, 5 nights)
- Breakfast (7 times) and dinner (7 times)
- Participation in the stages prepared by Grand Cols Cycling Tours (prologue on day of arrival + 6 stages)
- Professional, digital road book with all relevant route information
- GPX files for uploading routes to navigation devices
- Picnic lunch, coffee stop with good coffee and sports nutrition (sports drink, water, bars, etc.) during the stages
- Support during the stages with a support car, for example: handing over clothing and carrying out minor repairs
- Luggage transport from hotel to hotel
- The use of a bicycle pump, lubricant and bicycle tools
- Grand Cols Cycling Tours cycling jersey (contact us if you would like to design a custom jersey)
- Participation in the VZR guarantee scheme
The price does not include:
– The outward journey to the starting location and the return journey from the finish location
– Personal insurance, such as travel and cancellation insurance
– Drinks during the dinners
– Equipment (you participate with your own equipment, such as: bike, helmet and clothing)
- Upgrade to a single room € 245, –
- Additional overnight stay (without dinner) before the start of the cycling tour (double room): € 110, –
- Commonly used spare parts, such as: tyres, cleats and batteries (at cost price)
Anything else? Let us know!
Want to know more?
Discover the Tour de Suisse
Are you interested in this cycling tour? Request more information without obligation.
a sELection of our cycling tours
Take up the challenge and discover the most beautiful Grand Cols with us.
4 LändergiroVisit four Alpine countries in one tour, climb the famous Italian trilogy and discover other mythical Grand Cols.FROM BLUDENZ TO BLUDENZServus! Can't decide which country will be your next cycling destination? In the 4 Ländergiro (4LG) you don't have to...
A Travers les VosgesLook closer to home and climb all the famous Vosges cols and balloons, that you know from the Tour de France, in one tour. FROM FOUDAY TO FOUDAYSalute! Are you looking for a challenge in spring while the cols in the high mountains are still closed?...
CUSTOM CYCLING TOUR Your favorite Grand Cols, our destination?FROM VILLAGE DÉPART TO VILLAGE D'ARRIVÉEBonjour! Ciao! ¡Hola! Or should we say servus? If you have just finished a great cycling adventure and are in danger of falling into a black hole, then it's about...